In simple terms, a computer programmer writes a series of logical steps or set of instructions which tells the computer what to do. Aside from writing, a computer programmer has to test, debug and maintain the detailed instructions that computers follow to perform the functions intended. The work of the computer programmer depends usually on the employer. A computer programmer may be asked to write programs to handle a specific application or programs to maintain and control operating systems or data management systems. A systems analyst or a computer software engineer usually guides and instructs the computer programmer to do a project which can either be completed in a few days or could take more than a year to accomplish.
So what does it take to be a successful computer programmer?
1. A Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Accounting, Finance, Business, Computer Science or Information Systems would be desirable. However a two year special course or certificate in computer programming can be adequate. Training provided by vendors would prove to be helpful.
2. A working knowledge of algorithm, formal logic and operating systems.
3. An attribute that should not be overlooked is paying extra close attention to every detail.
4. A computer programmer has to be very patient and at the same time persistent.
5. Under pressure, a computer programmer should be able to perform exacting analytical work.
6. Creativity and ingenuity would come in handy when it comes to designing solutions.
7. A computer programmer should strive to acquire programming skills and experience.
8. A computer programmer should always be updated with the latest technology.